Our Ceremonial and Historical Unit consists of 15 plus members of the Cincinnati Chapter-Sons of the American Revolution, outfitted with Revolutionary War era uniforms, muskets, and accoutrements. Additionally, our Patriot Grave Marking page contains many photos and videos of the unit for you to reference.
Historical Presentations/Demonstrations and Ceremonies
- Revolutionary War Grave Markings/Historical Markers
- These are not burial headstone installations, but rather a ceremonial placement of a SAR marker in the form of metal, stone or a combination. This is for either a single or group of Rev War veterans buried on the site. We also conduct ceremonies for the installation of historical markers. Our ceremonies include flag details, musket salutes and Historical/Tactical demos.
2. Revolutionary War Presentations (History, Uniforms, Weaponry)
- These consist of Revolutionary War history, Uniforms, Period Weaponry explanations.
3. Tactical Demonstrations (Marching, Firing)
- See how Revolutionary War soldiers marched in formation, conducted multi-line group firing and engaged in bayonet charges
4. School Presentations (Group or Individual)
- Individuals of our unit present various topics, with displays, related to the Revolutionary War, either to assemblies or individual classes.
Demand for the Ceremonial and Historical unit are extensive and we have a full calendar. Therefore we have also accessed the type of events that are critical to furthering knowledge of the American War for Independence to the public and honor those that fought. This led to specific criteria in order for an event to be considered.
- Is the Event tied to the Revolutionary War, either through person, place or event (i.e. Battle) or similar period event (Founder’s Day, Pioneer Day, etc.)?
- Will our duties include one or more of the 4 type of engagements above. i.e., no flag postings only?…and there must be approval for musket firing.
- Are the public invited? It is critical that events be public for the most exposure to our history.
- Can we staff the event? We are a volunteer organization whose members have schedules outside of the unit, and therefore availability will be accessed for each request.
For questions, please contact the Unit Commander for more information.
Unit Member References
- Unit Manual Volume 2 Rev 2 (Link to BW print version)
- Cleaning a Flintlock Musket
- Use this a first time guide to new members who have never cleaned a black-power firearm.
- Rolling a Blank Musket Cartridge
- We fire only safe, black-powder, paper cartridges. The chapter usually furnishes these for events, but as a unit member,you may want to learn how to do it yourself.
- Making a Cartridge Box
- A cartridge box capable of storing paper cartridges is mandatory for events. Save money and make one for yourself using this visual guide.