Any man of age eighteen (18) years or over, who is a lineal descendant of an ancestor who supported the war for American independence is eligible for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution. These ancestors are referred to as Revolutionary War Patriots and include those persons who fought in the military and/or militia, who provided supplies to the American cause, who served on political bodies supporting the Revolution, who signed oaths of support and similar acts.
General Information and Application Requirements
(Form 0910, last revised October 2003, original on blue paper) This one page tri-fold pamphlet lists SAR objectives, acceptable service, transfer from the CAR, prospects with relatives in the SAR. DAR or SR, supplemental applications, and reinstatement. It also lists application fees and annual dues.
Pointers for Preparing a Perfect Application
- Complete the application. Make sure you are using the most current application form. Note: (Pay very close attention to pages 6, 7 16, and 17) of the SAR Manual when filling our your application)
- Type the applicants last name/Patriots last name/Chapter/State on the back of each proof. Recommended not required.
- Pertinent text should only be underlined in RED using a ball-point pen or pencil.
- Do underline, in RED, pertinent passages that contain names, dates, places, ages, locations, etc from old handwritten or lengthy documents to make it easier for the staff to review.
- Do not make any annotations to the document since documents must be taken at face value as written.
- Do provide title pages showing the name and date of the publication for all source records.
- Do not staple or paperclip on any of your proofs.
- The application and proof documents should be held together with one big suitably sized paper clip or binder clip.
- Do not use yellow highlighters or felt tip pens.
- Do not use divider pages to separate generations.
- Do not type N/A or unknown in name, date or place fields on the applications form. If the information is unknown, leave the field blank
- Do not use post-it notes or any other similar products.
- Do not use screen prints of SAR Record Copies from Ancestry.com.
- Do not use Family Group Sheets printed from SAR Patriot Index or Ancestry.com.
- Do not use Printed summaries of census records.
- Large documents (11 x 17) should be reduced to print on 8 1/2 by 11 paper.
- Provide your registrar or sponsor two copies of all of your proofs.
- Documentation showing each parent/child link in the bloodline to the patriot is required.
- Documentation providing any other requested information regarding spouses who are not in the direct bloodline, and the applicants children IS NOT NEEDED NOR REQUESTED.
- Do not include extraneous documents that restate facts already proven by other documents.
To Help Preserve a Precious Heritage
(Form 0911, last revised September 1999, original has color photos) This one page tri-fold pamphlet describes the SAR, tells why someone should become a member, and describes the many ways in which the SAR helps preserve our nation’s heritage of liberty and independence.
Requirements for Preparation of Applications
(Form 0912, last revised September 2008, original on green paper) This one page tri-fold pamphlet tells what to give the applicant, what sorts of documents are acceptable, how to write data on the application, and how to cite the sources used.
What Are The Requirements For Membership?
(Form 0913, undated, original on white paper) This one page tri-fold pamphlet has two blank panels so that it may be folded, addressed, and mailed to prospects without using envelopes.