By Compatriot George Stewart, Chapter Historian
It is hard to believe the Chapter’s Revolutionary War Graves committee had been inactive since the early 1900’s. It was not until 1986, at the urging of Compatriot Charles Edwards, that the Chapter re-instituted the committee. A lot of our continued success can be traced back to Mr. Edwards. The committee soon started showing results.
In 1989 Compatriot Tom Stander and other Reily Township residents believed that the Esker Cemetery on Champion International property constituted a cemetery of significant historical importance to the township. The Cincinnati Chapter wrote letters to Champion, Reily Township Trustees, and Butler County Commissioners urging all parties to remove the matter from politics and work on a plan to preserve the cemetery in the best interest of the community. After long consultations and legal battles Champion International agreed to dedicate the cemetery land to the Reily Township Board of Trustees for protection and preservation.