Michael B. Gunn, Ph.D.
Past President, Patriot Graves Chair CCSAR
The Ohio Society Sons of the American Revolution sponsored a Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown American Revolutionary War Soldier in Fort Laurens located in Bolivar, Ohio.
This fort, built on the west bank of the Tuscarawas River (located in eastern Ohio 25 miles from both Canton in the north and Pennsylvania in the east) was to serve as a base to attack the British garrison located at Detroit by the colonial military during the Revolutionary War.
In total, 21 soldiers (and 5 unknown) lost their lives at Fort Laurens after a handful of British soldiers and a couple hundred Wyandot, Mingo, Munsee, and Delaware warriors laid siege to the fort before it was abandoned in 1779.
There is a memorial monument at the site for the unknown soldiers who are buried here. The changing of the Guard ceremony held on August 11th was attend and participated by four members of the Cincinnati SAR: President John H. Bredenfoerder, Turner Lee Wilkerson, Robert E R. Bowers and Rev. Ralph E. Boniwell.
Pictured here at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers at Ft. Laurens are: Jack Bredenfoerder, Lee Wilkerson, Bob Bowers and Ed Boniwell along with seven other participants from Ohio