The Cincinnati SAR presented 20 awards to area American History students at an awards dinner on the evening of April, 4th at the Blue Ash Quality Hotel.
The Ohio Society SAR Dr. Tom & Betty Lawrence American History Teacher Award was also presented to Hamilton Garfield Middle School history teacher Matt Wilson by Compatriot George Stewart. Mr. Wilson was recognized for his stellar commitment to teaching American History and especially for his organization of a day-long Constitution Day Patriot Fair at Hamilton Garfield Middle School.
Cincinnati SAR President Jack Bredenfoerder started off the awards ceremony by inviting Dr. Ed Boniwell to introduce the sixteen winning poster and brochure students. The students presented their winning visual works to the assembly of more than seventy people.
Our brother and sister, 1st Place poster and brochure winners, Jackson and Madelyn Torrans will represent the Cincinnati SAR at the Ohio Society contests in Columbus on May 5th.
The Cincinnati SAR essay winner, Trenton Borders, was recognized by Zac Haines as the Ohio Society essay winner. Trenton’s essay was printed on the event program for all the attendees to read. The essay will be entered into the National SAR contest at the SAR National Congress in Houston, Texas this coming July.
Dr. Michael Gunn introduced our oration champion, Jonathan Smithe, via a pre-recorded video. In the video, Jonathan presented his rousing winning oration entitled “Liberty or Death”. Jonathan will represent the Cincinnati Chapter at the Ohio Society Contest that will be held at the Ohio Society D.G. High Oration Contest on May 5th in Columbus, Ohio.
Compatriot Scott Snow introduced The Cincinnati SAR’s two Eagle Scout winners: Trenton Borders and Joseph Swisher. Both young men are the finest examples of young men who have attained the rank of Eagle in the Cincinnati area.
The success of all these award programs can be credited to the Cincinnati SAR Youth Awards chairmen: Dr. Ed Bonniwell – Poster and Brochure Chairman; Zachary Haines – Essay Chairman; Scott Snow – Eagle Scout Chairman; Dr. Michael Gunn – Oration Chairman; and George Stewart – American History Teacher Chairman.
The evening was a very satisfying event for the Cincinnati compatriots. It was so satisfying to see so many young people excited about American History and the founding patriots of our country! We wish them all well as they pursue their American Dreams.
Below is the complete list of the 2018 Cincinnati SAR Youth Awards Winners:
AMERICANISM POSTER CONTEST WINNERS
- 1st Place – Jackson Torrans – Homeschool, Teacher – Amy Torrans
- 2nd Place – Olivia Grace Tice – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- 3rd Place – Lena Gallier – Homeschool, Teacher – Nicole Gallier
- 4th Place – Hope Ellen Schablein – Taylor Middle School – Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- 5th Place – Lilliana Joy Adams – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- 6th Place – Evan Lafferty – Miami Valley Christian Academy, Teacher – Suzanne Osterman
Poster Awards of Merit:
- Anna Gallier – Homeschool, Teacher – Nicole Gallier
- Margaret “Maggie” Rose Smith – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- Nicole Ann Ardila – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- Ava Posser – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Hance
- Kendra Elizabeth Kalbi – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- Kylie Elliott – Taylor Middle School, Teacher – Mrs. Cole
- Colin Hastings – Miami Valley Christian Academy Teacher – Suzanne Osterman
- Steven Williams – Miami Valley Christian Academy, Teacher – Suzanne Osterman
SGT. MOSES ADAMS BROCHURE CONTEST WINNERS
- 1st Place – Madelyn Torrans – Homeschool, Teacher – Amy Torrans
- 2nd Place – Adam Wilson – Royalmont Academy, Teacher – Mrs. Christine Gladden
KNIGHT ESSAY CONTEST WINNER
- 1st Place -Trenton Borders
EAGLE SCOUT WINNER
- 1st Place – Trenton Borders
- 2nd Place – Joseph Swisher D.G.
HIGH ORATION CONTEST WINNER
- 1st Place – Jonathan Smithe
LAWRENCE HISTORY TEACHER AWARD WINNER
- Mr. Matt Wilson – Hamilton Garfield Middle School