On April 25, 1988 two native Ohio trees were planted at Lake Isabella to commemorate the Bicentennial of the United States Constitution and the Northwest Ordinance. Ohio Society President Edwin Smith represented the Ohio Society and President General Nolan Carson represented the Cincinnati Chapter during dedication ceremonies. These trees were part of a larger tree-planting project sponsored by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, in which 200 trees would be planted in each of the fifty states as a living legacy, and as a reminder to all Americans of the importance of these two documents.
During the writing of the United States Constitution in 1787, Bartram’s Garden in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania hosted a visit from George Washington, John Adams, and Benjamin Franklin who planted various species of trees. Some of these trees remain today, the only living witness to the establishment of our Constitution.
In addition to fifty seedlings planted in 1988, the Ohio Nurserymen’s Association agreed to donate two trees for each of the 88 Ohio counties. Plaques to mark these memorial trees in each county were funded by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission.
With the recent help and support of Mr. Dan Shaw, District Superintendent of Great Parks of Hamilton County, who was there for this ceremony, the original Bicentennial plaque for our tree planting was located and is displayed at the wildlife shelter at Lake Isabella. However Mr. Shaw reports sadly the original trees that were planted are no longer present.
-Compatriot George H. Stewart, Chapter Historian